Read about Nigah Queer Café at Guys4men.com and after an hour long duel with my mind, joined the gay meet at Connought Place in the evening today (I had to lure it with the thought of encountering lovely guys).

Although the programme was to start at 6.30 in the evening, reached there half an hour early, only to find the hall empty with chairs lined up and a projector screen at the other end of the hall.

Akhil was the first one to turn up. I soon picked up conversation with Akhil, who turned up to be a North Campusian. There was Davey too, a black guy with a great sense of humour. Donation and the backstage restroom figured many times in his talks. You will have to spare me for the donation this time. See I haven’t received my salary for the month of January.

Held on the eve of Valentines Day, how could have love missed the discussion. But we all chose to not define love. In fact, it is too broad a concept to define in so short a session.

People started coming in. There was Neelima with a friend; Neelima, with that mellifluous voice (I hate the use of adjectives, but her voice will look bland otherwise). And when she sang “aaiye meharban”, I was like transported to another world. She closed with an emosional atyachar from the movie Dev-D.

A few more people followed. Deepak entered the room and it was love at first sight. In specs, he really looked cool. The poem he read out of Margaret Atwood was enough to create at least a week long impression on my mind. Also there was Parth (or what was his name… the one with the French and Punjabi connection and with a deep voice). Deepak and Parth, you can drop your contact details in the comments if you please. Sorry, I have this habit of meandering away from the topic. Excuse me for the digressions.

Akhil did a wonderful job of story telling. He read from a Hindi novel on LGBT issues by Gitanjali Shree. Davey did a superb reading of his poem ‘her-ass-meant’, wordplay on the word ‘harassment’. Anuradha, another performer, read out beautiful poems to the audience.

Yes, there were also people from the Pink Chaddi campaign, the ones running a campaign against the Sri Ram Sene and Pramod Muthalik and the Mangalore incident. And immediately after the introduction on the campaign was the Pink Chaddi poem called chatak gulabi chaddi. Man, the guy would go mad hearing this poem with all the abuses.

More performances and finally it was time to use the projector screen. A documentary on AIDS followed. It was after the break and I missed a major part of the film. If anyone wants to fill in with more information on the film, he/she is welcome to do so as comments.

Also met H. During the break, he shared with me a Philipino organisation that says homosexuality can be altered. What say? I am meeting H some day again.

Quite satisfying the meet was. It was my first time and I loved the informal nature of the meet. Although my mind is a little disappointed with me for not meeting enough guys. I am consoling it about the next time Nigah comes up with a gay meet. Guys, I hope you will be sweet enough to let my mind choose some macho guys in the next meet.
Labels: , , | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment